Sunday 28 January 2018

Nightmare week

Monday was a rest day as I was travelling down to London for the week, thankfully my Apple Watch was happy I was keeping active!

For Tuesday I was checking the weather reports and a morning run seemed the better option. I use Dark Sky as my goto hyper local weather app, it predicted some light drizzle on my return leg if I set off without delay. 

Strava is great at analysis so there are segments I pay attention to (in particular the ones near the end of a run)
I was happy to have gone further and faster, my knee was a bit angry at the end but should be ok. So 3.8k at 5:46 /km was a good effort as I am trying to keep the pace at under 6:00 /km and trying to increase the distance.

Wednesday was a right off as a storm had moved in Tuesday evening and the wind kept me awake most of the night. The weather was shocking so treated myself to a rest day.

The storm has past, so Thursday morning went for my longest Croydon out and back yet!
All felt good until I got to South Norwood, this being my logical turn back, my right calf went tight so had to stretch it out. This proceeded with an angry calf all the way back... that I can cope with, running the London Marathon in 2011 with strapped up with "Kinesiology" tape which may or may not have helped me finish in 3:08 with blue tape running up the back of my leg...
So carried on fine until about 0.5K away from getting back my lower back suddenly gave me shocking pain, it was that bad I struggled to breathe but managed to get back.

On Friday it was just about getting back from London, still hit my Apple Watch Activity goals, my suitcase that has served me well for 10 years finally has died, the wheels have split, zips coming off and the you extend to drag it along not easy to retract and put away...
So carried it all the way back to Oldham, bah.

Saturday I was keen to to do Oldham parkrun, Steve is not a fan of hills so where better than Alexandra park which uses every hill available. It is a course I am proud of as it was my first course design, Oldham gets a slapping for being the worst place to live and scores badly on health. Oldham NHS had some resource to setup an event and together we made something that is still here, getting people together, enjoying a beautiful park and giving the community something to look forward to.


Steve and I pre-parkrun

My Aim was to get sub 30 minutes and the pace started of well (too fast as usual) the calf was reminding me that it was unwell but ignored it, then as I was coming down the big hill my back pain started. As I got to the lake section the pain got was to point it was affecting my breathing, so as I got to the main straight I had to give up, the thought of struggling for another 3.5K and any damage I would do to myself it just destroyed me.

The sight of the 30min pacer going past me confirmed it was all over, a kind runner asked if I was ok and with a thumbs up (all I could muster) she carried on.
Steve however did very well finishing 63rd and bagging a great 25:46 which for someone hates hills was a superb effort.

Here is my effort, many times I have been injured in my life so not going to let this set me back or get me down.
The plan is to do Heaton parkrun next week so will rest this week and have bimble round the course as Steve gets another Saturday "Hill" session!

Happy running everybody

No comments:

Post a Comment